February 11, 2008

A Storehouse of Primary Sources (Persian) on Medieval India

Edited Information 08052021: 

The main theme of the post can be accessed at the URL https://persian.packhum.org/main

____________________________________

The Original Post without any edit: 

One can find a store of original sources on Medieval India translated into English from Persian, and Urdu at The Packard Humanities Institute, Persian Literature in Translation. The site of Packard Humanities Institute declares, “The Packard Humanities Institute (PHI) is a non-profit foundation dedicated to archaeology, music, film preservation, historic conservation, and early education. PHI is located in Los Altos, California.” There are some of the established sources like the book by Eliot and Dowson titled “The History of India, as Told By Its Own Historians” also available on the site. I had not studied any major work on Medieval India for some time by now. I have copies of works by Irfan Habib, J. N. Sarkar, and Alam with me but most of my time is taken by Modern India and American history. I have many questions on the Medieval Period of India which have remained answered because I did not have access to original sources or some better book. I have just studied one of the chapters by Abbas Khan Sarwani in his book Tarikh-i Sher Shahi”. From there I found the answer to a question that had remained in my mind since my graduation years. I had studied A. L. Srivastva and then J. L. Mehta in detail. I was highly impressed by the personality of Sher Shah Suri. However, in A. L. Srivastva, it was written the ancestors of Sher Shah Suri had come from Afghanistan in search of employment. I was never satisfied with the explanation given in there. Now, after reading Sarwani's account I have learned that how Behlol Lodhi encouraged that migration. One can find nearly 140 authors starting from 1100 A. D. to 1750 A. D. Khafi Khan is not included but there are Abu Fazal, Utbi, Yahya Ahmad Sarhindi, Mawlana Jalal al-Din Rumi, Nurul Haq Dehlvi, Muhsin Fani (it is a pseudo Name, I did not know.), Sultan Jahangir, Harcharan Das, Gulbadan Begum, Farishta, Firdawsi, Fayzi, Faqir Delhvi, Munsi Sujan Rai Bhandari, Budh Singh Hatri, Barani, and many more.


Acknowledgement: I acknowledge that I have located this source on the site of Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *